Sisi Duan, 段斯斯
Dr. Sisi Duan is a Researcher at the Institute for Advanced Study, Tsinghua University. She received her Ph.D. in Computer Science from the University of California, Davis in 2014 (Advisors: Prof. Karl Levitt and Sean Peisert ). She got her bachelor degree in Electrical and Electronic Engineering from the University of Hong Kong in 2010. Prior to joining Tsinghua University in 2020, she was and Assistant Professor in the Department of Information Systems, University of Maryland, Baltimore County from 2017 to 2020, a Weinberg fellow in Computational Data Analytics Group, Oak Ridge National Laboratory from 2015 to 2017. She is a member of Beijing National Research Center for Science and technology and National Financial Cryptography Research Center. Dr. Duan’s research interests include distributed systems security, blockchain, cyber physical systems, and applied cryptography.
Awards and Honors
- Tsinghua Young Scholar Research Award (学术新人奖), 2021.
- 35 Innovators under 35 (TR35) China by MIT Technology Review, 2021.
- Named as one of the Maryland’s cyber warrior women, 2019.
- Best Paper in Networking Track (1 of the 3), ICDCN, 2017.
- Alvin M. Weinberg Distinguished Fellowship, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, 2015.
- Best Paper Candidate Award, SRDS, 2014.
- Graduate Student Travel Award, University of California, Davis, 2014.
- Leiv Eiriksson Mobility Grant, Research Council of Norway, 2014.
- Top 100 in Google Code Jam I/O for Women 2014 (Rank: 30th).
- Block Grant Fellowship, Office of Graduate Studies, University of California, Davis, 2011.
Conference Full Papers
- [c24] Nicolas Alhaddad, Sourav Das, Sisi Duan, Ling Ren, Mayank Varia, Zhuolun Xiang, and Haibin Zhang. Balanced Byzantine Reliable Broadcast with Near-Optimal Communication and Improved Computation. PODC 2022. [DOI][eprint]
- [c23] Haibin Zhang abd Sisi Duan. PACE: Fully Parallelizable Asynchronous BFT from Reproposable Byzantine Agreement. CCS 2022, to appear. [DOI][eprint]
- [c22] Sisi Duan and Haibin Zhang. Foundations of Dyanmic BFT. S&P (Oakland) 2022. [DOI][eprint][teasor]
- [c21] Xiao Sui*, Sisi Duan, and Haibin Zhang. Marlin: Two-Phase BFT with Linearity. DSN 2022. [PDF][DOI][teasor]
- [c20] James R. Clavin*, Yue Huang*, Xin Wang*, Pradeep M. Prakash*, Sisi Duan, Jianwu Wang, and Sean Peisert. A framework for evaluating BFT. ICPADS 2021. [PDF][DOI]
- [c19] Chao Liu*, Sisi Duan, and Haibin Zhang.EPIC: Efficient Asynchronous BFT with Adaptive Security, DSN 2020. [PDF][DOI]
- [c18] Sisi Duan, Chao Liu*, Xin Wang*, Yusen Wu, Shuai Xu, Yelena Yesha, Haibin Zhang. Intrusion-Tolerant and Confidentiality-Preserving Publish/Subscribe Messaging. SRDS 2020: 319-328. [PDF][DOI]
- [c17] Sisi Duan, Michael K. Reiter, and Haibin Zhang. BEAT: Asynchronous BFT Made Practical, CCS 2018. [PDF][DOI][Code]
- [c16] Siddhant Goenka, Sisi Duan, and Haibin Zhang. A Formal Treatment of Efficient Byzantine Routing Against Fully Byzantine Adversary. NCA 2018. [PDF][DOI]
- [c15] Liangzhe Chen, Xinfeng Xu, Sangkeun Lee, Sisi Duan, Alfonso G. Tarditi, Supriya Chinthavali, and B. Aditya Prakash. HotSpots: Failure Cascades on Heterogeneous Critical Infrastructure Networks. CIKM 2017: 1599-1607. [PDF][DOI]
- [c14] Sisi Duan, Michael K. Reiter, and Haibin Zhang. Secure Causal Atomic Broadcast, Revisited. DSN 2017: 61-72. [PDF][DOI]
- [c13] Sisi Duan, Sangkeun Lee, Supriya Chinthavali, and Mallikarjun Shankar. Best Effort Broadcast under Cascading Failures in Interdependent Networks. ICDCN 2017: 27. [PDF][DOI] One of the 3 best papers of the networking track. Invited to the journal of Pervasive and Mobile Computing (PMC) Elsevier.
- [c12] Sangkeun Lee, Liangzhe Chen, Sisi Duan, Supriya Chinthavali, Mallikarjun Shankar, and B. Aditya Prakash. URBAN-NET: A Network-based Infrastructure Monitoring and Analysis System for Emergency Management and Public Safety. Big Data 2016: 2600-2610. [PDF][DOI]
- [c11] Sisi Duan, Lucas Nicely, and Haibin Zhang. Byzantine Reliable Broadcast in Sparse Networks. NCA 2016: 175-182. [PDF][DOI]
- [c10] Sisi Duan, Yun Li, and Karl Levitt. Cost Sensitive Moving Target Consensus. NCA 2016: 272-281. [PDF][DOI]
- [c9] Sisi Duan and Haibin Zhang. Practical State Machine Replication with Confidentiality. SRDS 2016: 187-196. [PDF][DOI]
- [c8] Sisi Duan, Sangkeun Lee, Supriya Chinthavali, and Malikarjun Shankar. Reliable Communication Models in Interdependent Critical Infrastructure Networks. RWS 2016:152-157. [PDF][DOI]
- [c7] Sisi Duan and Jingtao Sun. Energy Management Policies in Distributed Residential Energy Systems. IDCS 2016: 121-133. [DOI]
- [c6] Sangkeun Lee, Supriya Chinthavali, Sisi Duan, and Malikarjun Shankar. Utilizing Semantic Big Data for realizing a National-scale Infrastructure Vulnerability Analysis System. SBD@SIGMOD 2016: 3. [PDF][DOI]
- [c5] Jingtao Sun and Sisi Duan. A Self-Adaptive Middleware for Efficient Routing in Distributed Sensor Networks. SMC 2015: 322-327. [PDF][DOI]
- [c4] Sisi Duan, Jingtao Sun, and Sean Peisert. Towards a Self-Adaptive Middleware for Building Reliable Publish/Subscribe Systems. IDCS 2015: 157-168. [PDF][DOI]
- [c3] Sisi Duan, Hein Meling, Sean Peisert, and Haibin Zhang. BChain: Byzantine Replication with High Throughput and Embedded Reconfiguration. OPODIS 2014: 91-106. [PDF][DOI][Press]
- [c2] Sisi Duan, Karl Levitt, Hein Meling, Sean Peisert, and Haibin Zhang. ByzID: Byzantine Fault Tolerance from Intrusion Detection. SRDS 2014: 253-264. [PDF][DOI] Best Paper Candidate Award.
- [c1] Tiancheng Chang, Sisi Duan, Hein Meling, Sean Peisert, and Haibin Zhang. P2S: A Fault-Tolerant Publish/Subscribe Infrastructure. DEBS 2014: 189-197. [PDF][DOI]
Conference Short Papers
- [s3] Nicolas Alhaddad, Sourav Das, Sisi Duan, Ling Ren, Mayank Varia, Zhuolun Xiang, and Haibin Zhang. Brief Announcement: Asynchronous Verifiable Information Dispersal with Near-Optimal Communication. PODC 2022. [DOI][eprint]
- [s2] James R. Clavin*, Pradeep M. Prakash, and Sisi Duan. ByzGame: Byzantine Generals Game. DEBS 2020. [PDF][DOI][Access ByzGame]
- [s1] James R. Clavin* and Sisi Duan. Demo Abstract: ByzGame, a Visualized and Understandable BFT Consensus. Middleware 2019. [PDF][DOI]
- [j8] Haibin Zhang, Chao Liu*, and Sisi Duan. How to Achieve Adaptive Security for Asynchronous BFT? JPDC 2022. [PDF][DOI]
- [j7] Sisi Duan and Haibin Zhang. Recent Progress on BFT in the Era of Blockchains. National Science Review, 2022. [PDF][DOI]
- [j6] Xin Wang*, Sisi Duan, James R. Clavin*, and Haibin Zhang. BFT in Blockchains: From Protocols to Use Cases. ACM Computing Surveys, 2022. (Online: Dec 2021). [PDF][DOI]
- [j5] Guohou Shan, Boxin Zhao*, James R. Clavin*, Haibin Zhang, and Sisi Duan. Poligraph: Intrusion-Tolerant and Distributed Fake News Detection System. IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security 17: 28-41, 2022. [PDF][DOI]
- [j4] James R. Clavin*, Sisi Duan, Haibin Zhang, Vandana P. Janeja, Karuna P. Joshi, Yelena Yesha, Lucy C. Erickson, and Justin D. Li. Blockchains for Government: Use Cases and Challenges. ACM Digital Government: Resesarch and Practice 1(3): 22:1-22:21, 2020. [PDF][DOI]
- [j3] Sisi Duan and Bilal M. Ayyub. Assessment Methods of Network Resilience for Cyber-Human-Physical Systems. ASCE-ASME Journal of Risk and Uncertainty Analysis, 6(1), 2020. [PDF][DOI]
- [j2] Sisi Duan, Sangkeun Lee, Supriya Chinthavali, and Mallikarjun Shankar. Best Effort Broadcast under Cascading Failures in Interdependent Critical Infrastructure Networks. Elsevier Pervasive and Mobile Computing, 43: 114-130, 2018. [PDF][DOI]
- [j1] Sisi Duan, Sean Peisert, and Karl Levitt. hBFT: Speculative Byzantine Fault Tolerance with Minimum Cost. IEEE Transaction on Dependable and Secure Computing, 12(1): 58-70, 2015. [PDF][DOI] Note: hBFT has potential safety issues, as published here.
- Sisi Duan. Building Reliable and Practical Byzantine Fault Tolerance. Ph.D. Dissertation, Computer Science, University of California, Davis, Dec 2014. Committee members: Prof. Karl Levitt (chair), Prof. Sean Peisert, and Prof. Matt Bishop. [PDF]
- 2022: DSN, CCSW
- 2021: DSN, NCA
- 2020: BIOTC, IDC, NCA
- 2019: BTSD, NCA, IDCS
- 2018: NCA, CISRC
- 2017: NCA, CISRC
- 2016: CISRC
- 2015: CISRC
- 2013: CSSIIRW
Conference Co-Chair and Session Chair
- 2018: IDCS, UIC
- IEEE Transactions on Network and Service Management
- IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing
- ACM Transactions on Internet Technology
- IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering
- IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology